"GMT watch" typically refers to a watch with a GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) complication, which is a feature that allows the wearer to track multiple time zones simultaneously. Let's delve into the difference between a "true GMT watch" and an "office GMT watch":
- True GMT Watch:
- Independent GMT Hand: A true GMT watch has a dedicated hand on the dial that points to the 24-hour scale, allowing you to track a second time zone independently. This hand makes one full rotation every 24 hours.
- Quickset Function: Some true GMT watches have a quickset function that allows you to adjust the GMT hand independently, making it convenient to change the displayed time zone without affecting the main timekeeping.
- Office GMT Watch:
- Adjustable 24-Hour Bezel or Scale: An "office GMT watch" might refer to a watch that allows you to track a second time zone using a 24-hour bezel or scale on the dial. This is often more rudimentary compared to a true GMT watch but can serve the purpose.
- Not Independent GMT Hand: Unlike a true GMT watch, an office GMT watch may not have a separate hand for the second time zone. Instead, you might align the 24-hour scale with the main hour hand to indicate a different time zone.
How to Adjust a GMT Watch:
Pull Out the Crown:
- For watches with an independent GMT hand, pulling out the crown to the first position allows you to adjust the local time without affecting the GMT hand.
- For watches with a 24-hour bezel or an independent GMT hand, rotate the bezel or adjust the GMT hand to align with the desired second time zone.
- Some GMT watches have quickset functions that allow you to rapidly adjust the GMT hand in one-hour increments.
- It's essential to consult the watch's manual for specific instructions as different GMT watches may have unique features and adjustments.
Adjusting a GMT watch is a straightforward process once you understand the specific features of your watch. Remember to consider whether your watch is a true GMT with an independent hand or an office GMT with other methods for tracking a second time zone.